The EPUB 3 Support Grid was designed to be a handy reference to what enhancements and features of EPUB 3 render correctly on the most commonly used devices, apps, and reading systems. The Grid represents results of reading system tests conducted by industry experts representing leading publishers, service providers, and technology vendors through the auspices of BISG's Content Structure Committee.
On February 19, 2014, through a partnership between BISG, the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) and the DAISY Consortium, the EPUBTest.org website was launched as the new home of both the new EPUB 3 Support Grid and the EPUB Testsuite, a set of EPUB 3.0 files designed to enable anyone to systematically test an e-book reading system's support of various EPUB 3.0 features. These files were used to generate the results in the new BISG EPUB 3 Support Grid.
A major update to the Grid was completed in Spring 2015 to enable evalaution of support for accessibility across popular reading systems and assistive technologies. The update, which involved creation of a new set of EPUB 3 test documents specifically designed to assess fundamental accessibility support, makes it possible for anyone to test a reading system's support of accessibility features. To achieve a high fundamental accessibility score, reading systems should be able to perform basic functions like adjust font size and color, and text should be readable with a screen reader, self-voicing text-to-speech application, refreshable Braille display or assistive technologies designed for persons with dyslexia and other learning disabilities.
Until the Grid moved to EPUBTest.org, it was created and updated through independent research and reporting of the Content Structure Committee, and distributed as a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.Through use of the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) EPUB Testsuite, a freely available collection of material created specifically for this purpose, the EPUB 3 Support Grid now provides more reliable, more comprehensive, and more up-to-date reporting on EPUB 3.0 support than was previously possible.
EPUBTest.org is a joint project between the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF), BISG, and the DAISY Consortium.
NOTES ON THE GRID & EPUB TESTSUITE
- The EPUB 3 Support Grid is intended to provide a useful resource for publishers and their suppliers who would like to know the degree to which EPUB 3 is supported across various apps, devices, and reading systems.
- As of the February 19, 2014 update, the Reading System EPUB 3.0 feature support reported at EPUBTest.org represent results from evaluations conducted by the BISG Content Structure Committee using the IDPF EPUB Testsuite.
- The IDPF EPUB Testsuite is a freely available collection of material created specifically for the purpose of testing Reading Systems for conformance with IDPF EPUB 3.0 specification features. These files were used to generate the results in the BISG EPUB 3 Support Grid.
- While the EPUB Testsuite does not present a comprehensive set of test files for every feature included in the EPUB 3.0 spec, it was designed to provide a rigorous performance evaluation of the most commonly used and most essential features of EPUB 3.0. The current testing process involves manual evaluation and recording of results, as opposed to an automated report. See the Testsuite page for more details, and instructions on how to test a Reading System.
- In order to make the Grid as representative as possible, future updates and expansions to the Grid may include results from evaluations conducted by parties outside of the BISG Content Structure Committee.
- Individuals representing Reading Systems not included in the current results may request that their Reading System be evaluated, or may conduct their own evaluations and submit them for inclusion in the Grid. Visit the EPUBTest.org site for more information.
BISG thanks the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) and the DAISY Consortium for their efforts in creation of the EPUB Testsuite and epubtest.org website.
BISG also thanks everyone involved in the initial development of the Grid, including YUDU Media for its contributions toward launching and conceptualizing the Grid.
Participating Companies include: Apex Covantage, Aptara, DAISY Consortium, Firebrand Technologies, Google, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Ingram/VitalSource, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF), Iviago, John Wiley & Sons, Kaplan, Kobo Inc., Newgen, Penguin Random House, Safari Books Online, and Sourcebooks.
- Initial publication, June 19, 2012
- July 13, 2012
- October 18, 2012
- November 19, 2012
- March 7, 2013
- February 19, 2014: Launched at EPUBTest.org
- Spring 2015: Accessibility testing added
Recognizing the constantly shifting nature of digital publishing, the Content Structure Committee continuously updates the EPUB 3 Support Grid by adding more reading system evaluations, and updating the TestSuite files to test more features. Industry feedback is critical to keeping the Grid accurate, comprehensive, and up-to-date. We hope you'll join the dialogue and send in your comments and suggestions for improving and enhancing the Grid. Send your feedback to Kim Graff at firstname.lastname@example.org.